Monday, August 5, 2013

Monday as a Noble Truth

Monday. You think I kid when I say I hate Monday. Yeah, ok, so everyone hates Monday, right? (If you don't, again, you're super weird.)
I hate it to the point that at about 3pm on Sunday I start throwing tantrums about the following day, wondering if there is some secret witchcraft potion I can take to make Monday not show up, wondering how I could get in touch with President Obama swiftly to make him understand that Monday should not be the start of the work week, and also trying to figure out time travel. So, there's that.

When I started looking at Buddhism and The Four Noble Truths Here, I have been trying to apply them to my life. *DISCLAIMER* I don't understand this shit. I'm not Ghandi. I'm just trying to read it and apply it in some way that sort of makes sense to me. Don't take this as gospel. Please, for the love of GOD, don't use my blog as gospel or your life is going to be royally screwed.

So the First Noble Truth talks about Suffering. It says "There is suffering."

"It is important to reflect upon the phrasing of the First Noble Truth. It is phrased in a very clear way: "There is suffering", rather than "I suffer". Psychologically, that reflection is a much more skilful way to put it. We tend to interpret our suffering as "I’m really suffering. I suffer a lot - and I don’t want to suffer." This is the way our thinking mind is conditioned.
"I am suffering" always conveys the sense of "I am somebody who is suffering a lot. This suffering is mine; I’ve had a lot of suffering in my life."

But note, we are not saying there is someone who has suffering. It is not personal suffering anymore when we see it as "There is suffering". It is not: "Oh poor me, why do I have to suffer so much? What did I do to deserve this? Why do I have to get old? Why do I have to have sorrow, pain, grief and despair? It is not fair! I do not want it. I only want happiness and security." This kind of thinking comes from ignorance which complicates everything and results in personality problems.

To let go of suffering, we have to admit it into consciousness."

If I look at this in the simple terms of hating Monday, I can whine about it all I want. It's still going to show its ugly head. It's about how I deal with it. I can blame whoever created the stupid work week and it's still going to show up. And I can complain and kick and scream or I can change my own attitude. If you apply that to larger parts of your life, it's the same thing. Stop complaining that everything sucks and DO SOMETHING about it. You can only play the victim for so long in your life and at some point it's on you to change the way you think, the way you act, and the way your life happens.

I'm still going to bitch about Monday, though. That's the fifth Noble Truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment